BEER CAN CHICKEN
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 15 min (+10 min resting)
Ready In: 1 hour and 40 min
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp Herbamare
1 tsp organic turmeric
1 tsp organic garlic powder
1 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp organic rosemary
1 tsp organic marjoram
1 tsp organic celery seed
1 tsp organic basil
1 tsp organic savory
1 tsp organic lemon pepper
1 tsp organic cayenne pepper
1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can of beer
1 (3 pound) whole chicken
1. Preheat barbeque to medium-high heat, about 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Place a half-full can of beer in the center of a plate.
4. Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry.
5. Fit the chicken upright over the can of beer with legs at the bottom. Ensure the chicken is sturdy and will stay upright while you prepare it.
6. Rub the dry ingredients over the surface of the chicken.
7. Place the chicken and beer can on to the grill. Be careful that the can doesn’t slide out while you are moving the chicken. Again, ensure the chicken is sturdy and will stay upright while it cooks.
8. Close the lid and barbeque the chicken until it is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. You can also use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature has reached 180 degrees F (82 degrees C).
9. Remove the chicken from the grill.
10. Remove the beer can. *Be careful, the can and beer will be very hot*
11. Cover the chicken with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Recipe created by Emily Price, C.H.N.C. – Emily Price Nutrition Consulting