DANISH APPLE BARS
Prep Time: 20 min
Bake Time: 30 min
Ready In: 60 min
Makes: 20 bars
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter or coconut oil
1 egg, separated
2/3 cup milk
5-6 apples, cored and diced (3 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 tsp water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flour and salt in a bowl and using a pastry blender, cut in butter or coconut oil until the size of peas.
3. Beat egg yolk with milk and add to the bowl.
4. Form dough into a ball. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
5. Roll out 1/2 of dough to a rectangle about 15″x10″. Fit into a 15″x10″ jelly roll pan.
6. Spread apples over the top.
7. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top.
8. Roll out the remaining pastry and fit over top. Seal the four edges together.
9. Fork beat the egg white and brush over the top crust.
10. Bake 1/2 hour or until nicely browned.
11. While pastry is still warm, combine icing sugar, vanilla and water; drizzle over top.
12. Cut into bars and serve warm. Enjoy!
---Recipe created by Emily Price, C.H.N.C., Emily Price Nutrition Consulting
Use Fresh Organic ingredients whenever possible.
These freeze well.
Apples are rich in Vitamin C, Fiber and are a great source of antioxidants.
Recipe created by Emily Price, C.H.N.C. – Emily Price Nutrition Consulting