Hearty Ham Lentil Split Pea Soup
This is a wonderful hearty soup that isn't overly thick but it's packed with flavour. It's very filling and don't be surprised if people want seconds with this one!
Makes: 10-12 cups
1 ham bone (leave a bit of meat on it)
10 c water or enough to almost cover the ham bone
2 c chopped ham
1/2 c onion chopped
1 c celery chopped
1 large carrot chopped
3 med sized potatoes
1 c dried lentils
1 c dried split peas
1 c dried black beans
4 dried bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh parsley chopped
1 vegetable bouillion cube
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
1 tsp herbamare
1 tsp garlic granules
1. Wash the lentils, peas and beans in cold water, rinsing thoroughly removing any that float to the top. Then place in a large bowl to soak for at least 2-3 hours or overnight. Rinse and drain.
2. In a slow cooker pot, add 1 large ham bone, spices and the celery, onion, and carrot. Add lentils. Stir everything together.
3. Turn on your slow cooker for approximately 10 - 12 hours. (I usually set mine up at about 9 pm at night and cook on low setting overnight.
3. In the morning, stir everything and remove the ham bone. Add the potatoes and the chopped ham. Slow cook for a further 4 hours.
4. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Serve piping hot!
-----Recipe created by Emily Price, C.H.N.C., Emily Price Nutrition Consulting