SPIRULINA ENERGY BITES
Prep Time: 1 hour
Freeze Time: 20-25 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Makes: 25 1″ bites
1/3 cup organic pumpkin seed
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup dates (be sure there are no pits in them)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried plums (I used my dried green gauge plums from my tree)
1/2 cup Golden Flax Meal
2 tblsp Dermaniche Pure Collagen Powder
2 tblsp Gandolf Organic Spirulina Powder
1/2 cup Tahini (stir it well before adding) (I used Nuts to You Nut Butter Inc)
1/4 cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
2 tblsp Blue Agave Nectar
2 tblsp Kaizen Vegan Protein Powder or you can use your favorite
1 Pacari Raw 70% Organic Chocolate Bar
You can use your favorite
1 tsp coconut oil (for melting with the chocolate bars)
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor.
2. Pulse for a few seconds and then mix for about 2 – 3 minutes until the mixture clumps together.
3. Remove blade and place mixture into a small bowl.
4. Pinch off dough to make 1″ balls.
5. Roll dough into 1″ balls and place on a baking tray lined with wax paper or parchmant paper.
6. Roll 1/3 of the balls into dessicated coconut.
7. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 20 minutes.
8. Melt chocolate for the coating.
Use a double boiler. Fill the bottom of the double boiler with hot water. Place top of double boiler onto the bottom pot. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil and break up the 2 chocolate bars into the top of the double boiler. Turn the heat on high and keep an eye on the chocolate as it melts. Turn burner to medium once everything is melted. Give a gentle stir with a fork only once. It should be thin, not too thick. You may need to add a bit more coconut oil depending on which type of chocolate bars you use. Now it is ready to dip your energy balls into.
9. Remove balls from the freezer and dip the uncoated balls into melted chocolate using a fork.
10. Place back on the same cookie sheet.
11. Top with a sprinkle of dessicated coconut. At this point you can also roll in more coconut if you choose but it gets a bit messy, but if you are a coconut lover like me, the extra mess is worth it!
12. Return to freezer for a few minutes to set!
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
These freeze well for up to 2 months. (They never last that long at my house!) These are a great for anyone who needs a little extra boost of energy to get them through their day! They are also great for kids lunches.
Recipe created by Emily Price, C.H.N.C. – Emily Price Nutrition Consulting