1 c butter
½ c firmly packed brown sugar
1 free run egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c all purpose flour
1 c coarsley chopped walnuts (I used fresh cracked walnuts)
½ c jam (you could use strawberry, raspberry, plum, or whatever you have on hand) (I used homemade plum jam)
1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
2. Cream butter until smooth. Add sugar and continue creaming until light. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
3. Gradually add and stir in the flour until blended.
4. Press dough into a ball. Pinch off enough to make 1" balls and roll into balls.
5. Roll each ball into chopped walnuts and place on cookie sheet.
6. Make a depression in the center of each ball with the finger.
7. Bake 15-20 minutes until cookies are a golden brown.
8. Remove cookies from pans and place on wire racks.
9. Fill centers at once with jam
Yield: 3 dozen
Recipe is from the 1970 Blue Ribbon (Brooke Bond Foods Limited) Cook Book.
Back when I was a kid, my mom used to buy a lot of Blue Ribbon Coffee and I used to save the coupons from the coffee package. I would carefully cut them out and I saved and saved until I had enough to mail away for this cookbook.
It was the one I used to learn how to bake from and it became one of my favorite cookbooks over the years. It's all tattered and torn from years of use but I still use it today and this cookie recipe has become one of my favorites that I've made for my family over the years.
I hope you try it out. You will not be disappointed.